Maintaining Bamboo Floors
Maintaining bamboo floors
is very much like maintaining hardwood floors. Water and wood do not work well together, and always wash your floors in moderation.
- Immediately after your floor has been installed, clean floor using a slightly damp mop with a no-wax floor cleaner specifically formulated for hardwood floors or one recommended by the manufacturere.
- Regularly dust mop or sweep with a soft bristle broom or vacuum with a soft attachment to keep your bamboo floor clean from dust, dirt or grit.
- Remove spills and dirt promptly. A soft cloth dampened with water and then squeezed dry may be used to wipe up foodstuffs and other spills, provided the area is dried immediately.
- When using any wood flooring cleaner that requires mixing with water, follow the mixing directions precisely.
- Heel or scuff marks and stubborn stains may be removed by lightly rubbing with a cloth and a wood floor cleaner.
- Place mats at all exterior entrances. This will capture much of the harmful dirt before it reaches the bamboo flooring If removing shoes is not an option, it is recommended to clean shoes well. Gravel, rocks and debris can get stuck in the bottom of shoes and scratch the finish. High heeled shoes are especially damaging to the finish of your new floors.
- Use area rugs on high traffic pathways. Only use colorfast and non-scratch area rugs on your bamboo floor. Reposition mats regularly to maintain a uniform, long lasting apperance.
- Use mats in the kitchen, bathroom and laundry room to protect against spills.
- Install floor protectors under all furniture legs. Make sure the floor protectors are large enough to distribute weight evenly. Keep the floor protectors clean of grit and replace them periodically. Wheels should have hardened-plastic casters at least 2" in width depending on weight.
- Lift furniture when moving, instead of sliding across the surface.
- Keep pets' claws trimmed. This will avoid excess scratches and gouges.
What To Avoid:
- Do not allow floor cleaner or any other liquid to remain long standing on your bamboo floor.
- Do not let sand, dirt or grit build up.
- Do not use a vacuum with a beater bar.
- Do not use a wet mop or sponge to clean the floor - excessive amounts of water will cause your floor to swell and cup.
- Never wax your bamboo floor.
- Do not use steel wool or other abrasive scouring pads.
- Do not use oil soap, scouring powder, abrasive cleansers or harsh detergents to clean your bamboo floor.
Return To Our Flooring Library of Flooring Information & Tips