Engineered and laminate floors are now being manufactured using a technology that allows the floor to float over the subfloor.
Relatively new in North America, floating-floor technology is an evolution of the traditional tongue and groove system for joining hardwood floor strips
. The term floating refers to the fact the floor in not glued or nailed down to the subfloor. Instead the boards are clicked together and the floor floats over the subfloor. Each floating strip has a hooked tongue on one side and a slotted groove on the other side so that the pieces click and lock together for a seamless joint.
Floating-floors systems come in a wide variety of styles and colors with endless colors to suit any decor. Available in durable laminates that mimic hardwood and stone, natural cork with it's variety of rich textures and colors, timeless, elegant hardwood and even hard wearing linoleum.
Floating floors are an easy project for the DIY. Once the installation is complete, your new floor is ready to walk on.
The Benefits Of A Floating Floor System:
- No nails or glue required.
- Patented joints hold planks and tiles together with no gaps.
- Can be installed over existing hard, flat surfaces including ceramic tile, concrete and radiant heat.
- Serviceable for any room in the house including kitchens, bathrooms and basements.
- Can be installed, lifted, reinstalled up to 3 times under the 25 year warranty. Perfect for families on the move or those who are renting wanting to upgrade the existing flooring without loosing their investment.
- Superior wear-resistant finish cleans up easily with a damp mop.
- Available in both tiles and planks.
Approximate Costs Of Installing Floating Floor:
Laminate $2.00 - $6.00 per square foot
Cork $6.00 - $8.00 per square foot
Hardwood $6.00 - $8.00 per square foot
Linoleum $7.00 - $8.00 per square foot
Underlayment 25¢ - $1.50 per square foot
Installation $1.50 - $2.00 per square foot, depending on the complexity of the project.
Return To Our Flooring Library of Flooring Information & Tips